Fishing License and Current Conditions


Sloanes General Store is no longer selling licenses and we will not be able to keep up with the demand so PLEASE get your licenses before you get here. Thank you!

GREY REEF: 1,000cfs The upper is in good shape but we are experiencing some runoff just above Government Bridge. With the forecast for the week being in the 70s, we are expecting more runoff downstream.

FREMONT CANYON: 72cfs Mostly clear but the water is a hazy green color.

MIRACLE MILE: 2,800cfs Clear. Road conditions to and around the Mile are good.



More Updates

So folks, a few things have changed over the weekend. Grey Reef is holding steady at 450cfs and conditions at Lusby as of this afternoon were good. There were even a few baetis starting to pop!  A couple of feet of visibility, a vast improvement from the end of last week. We may see a little burp tomorrow but with cooler temps mid-week, conditions should improve again. Now onto the Mile…the road(Kortes) is open and from what we’ve been told you can come over from Sinclair as well. The Mile is on the up, with flows bumping to 2,600cfs today. Considering snowpack, we would assume that flows for the Mile will probably only go up in the coming weeks/months. Fremont Canyon is stable at 75cfs and fishable.


A Few Things…

Firstly, OUR PHONE LINE and CREDIT CARD MACHINE IS DOWN…we are working with centurylink to resolve the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Conditions report:

Grey Reef is at 450cfs. It is fishable from Grey Reef Dam to Lusby, roughly 8-12″ of visibility at the Dam and green. Zero visibility at Government Bridge.

Miracle Mile is at 2,000cfs. The road is open from Alcova to the Mile. Flows were increased on Wednesday from 500cfs to 2,000cfs. Floating debris made the fishing difficult but this should only improve as flows stabilize.

Fremont Canyon is at 80cfs. The road into Fremont is clear.


After The Storm


Well, that last storm was no joke! Casper Mountain got around 48″, Casper over 30″ and Alcova somewhere around 24″. It was definitely one for the books. As you would expect this is going to have an impact on the Grey Reef tailwater. Current conditions are as follows; around 8-12″ of visibility at Grey Reef Dam, 2-4″ at Lusby, and zero visibility at Government Bridge. Considering the amount of snow, warmer temps and low flows(450cfs), we are expecting Grey Reef to be in rough shape for the remainder of the week. So what about driving the Mile? Well, to be blunt it’s not happening at this moment in time. Certain areas around the Mile saw 3-4ft of snow out the big storm and its a mess out there. As always, we will keep you updated as things change!

Flush is Finished


Well, the spring flush has officially wrapped up. Flows on Grey Reef have gone back to 450cfs. At this point we do not have any information regarding the flows for Grey Reef later this spring and summer. As always, if we hear anything we will let you know. Currently Grey is is floatable and fishable downstream of Government Bridge. This is subject to change, especially this year with the amount of lingering snow drifts.

Miracle Mile? We have had guides at the Mile the past week and other than one 150yd stretch of Kortes Road, the getting around out there is relatively easy. Keep mind folks, we have some more wet weather on the horizon, so this is subject to change. As always, USE CAUTION when headed that direction.

It’s gradually starting to feel like spring and the fish are starting to act like it. With the flush in the rear view, the spawn is really going to fire up. PLEASE be considerate of the fish and don’t walk through the redds. It really is best if we leave the spawners alone.


We have been fielding a lot of calls regarding the Miracle Mile road and the Grey Reef flush

MIRACLE MILE ROAD: As of today, we have been told the road to the Mile is open. UPDATE…the roads up and down the Mile as well as most of the access roads are mostly open from our sources. As always if we hear something different, we will let you know!

GREY REEF FLUSH: The Grey Reef flush is scheduled to start at 12:01am this coming Monday, March 20th. Flows will increase to 2,500cfs overnight and will resume to normal(500cfs) by 10:00am. The flows the first night will be lower than normal because of lingering river ice. After night one, the rest of the flush will peak at 4,000cfs and as always will be back to normal by 10:00am. The flush is set to run for 10 days total.



A Quick Little Update

Flush is now set to start on March 20th for Grey Reef. Conditions as of today are as follows; clear, floatable from Grey Reef Dam to Government Bridge.  Flows remain at 450cfs.

Miracle Mile road from Alcova is questionable at best.  We do not advise driving to the Mile at this time.

Fremont Canyon is open from the Alcova side via Kortes Rd.  Highway 220 is closed in Alcova, as of this morning.

Winter Storm

Well folks, it appears we are about to get hit by another big round of weather here in Central Wyoming.  From the forecast and reports we’ve been seeing, low elevations should see almost 12″ and higher elevations could see upwards of 36″.  This should obviously really help add to what is already a solid snowpack.  The shop is CLOSED today and tomorrow and we will see what happens on Thursday with conditions and road closures.

Blanket of White

Central Wyoming is covered in snow.  After about 24hrs straight we are probably looking at 8-10″ in the Alcova area.  That’s a pretty good amount of snow for us!  Let us hope the upper drainage is getting it as well.  Enough with the weather, here’s an updated fishing report for the North Platte River.

Current Flows:

Grey Reef: 450cfs   Fremont Canyon: 76cfs   Miracle Mile: 535cfs +/-

Top Flies:

Nymphs: amber scud, rhinestone, PAL, pine squirrel leech, mayhem midge, reef worm

Streamers: rusty t, goldie, articulated goldie, Seth special, twin lakes special 

Conditions are what you would expect for mid-winter.  Low and clear.  With temperatures dropping, lower Grey Reef (downstream of Lusby) is rolling some slush ice and shelf ice is building as we speak.  So if you want to hit the Reef, planning on staying up top.  As of yesterday the upper is still floatable but that could change any day.  With this storm you also want to be careful if you have plans to head out to the Mile.  Adhere to the old Boy Scout motto, “Be Prepared”.  We don’t currently have updated road conditions after this past storm but…our guess is, it’s probably pretty sporty heading that direction.  Overall, the fish have mostly slid in their winter haunts.  Plan on concentrating on the lower half of the run.  Now, we aren’t ruling out fish in other places it’s just gonna be a little more productive in the slower, deeper water.  Primetime has been late morning, early afternoon as you would expect.

The Winter Program

First things first, here is our winter schedule for the shop.


Thursday-Monday: 8AM-1PM

Tuesday and Wednesday: CLOSED

A quick little fishing report for you folks.  It’s pretty much winter in Central Wyoming.  Flows are down to winter levels and we are starting to see some slush ice on lower sections of Grey Reef.  Nymphing and streamers have been the way to go on Grey Reef, Miracle Mile and Fremont Canyon.  Various scud patterns, rhinestones, PALs, reef worms, leeches and mayhems have been our top producers.  The most productive nymphing water has been the mid to lower sections of the runs.  Some fish are definitely starting to hunker into their winter patterns.  Streamers (i.e. Rusty T and/or a Goldie) have been producing some nice fish, just remember to slow down your strip with the colder water temperatures.